Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Safe to Eat Cookie Dough

This past week kinda kicked my ass. Starting with a family member being rushed to the hospital on friday, my weekend was a roller coaster ride of awesome and very not awesome. I got to see my sister in law and niece, awesome. Spending many hours in the ER, not awesome. Thats how it's been going. And while things seem to have evened out for now, I don't feel evened out. I still feel thrown and more than a little pouty and needy. And so I followed a long standing tradition in my family, and ran to my boyfriend the refrigerator for comfort. And since it was a class A emergency I made and ate Cookie Dough!

Only I didn't feel like getting salmonella or e. coli or anything so I made Safe cookie dough. Not good for baking, extremely good for eating raw, tossing in ice cream etc. And since I'm a giver, here's how it's done. Hint: it's easy.

Recipe For Safe to Eat Cookie Dough

1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar - lightly packed
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. Milk

Put the butter, both sugars, vanilla and salt in a large mixing bowl and beat together. Add the flour gradually, about a 2/3 c. at a time, until it's all mixed. Then add in whatever and however much of anything you want, Chocolate Chips, nuts, sprinkles or all of the above, I won't judge you.

Or, if you have a cookie recipe that you love you can use that. Any dough can be made edible by just removing the eggs and baking soda (you don't actually have to remove the baking soda but since you're not baking it it's useless) and adding a bit of milk to make up for the liquid lost with the eggs.

Voila. Dough you can eat with a spoon that won't kill you.*





*It won't kill you from salmonella or e.coli or other egg related illnesses but I can't say anything for heart disease or the like, you are after all consuming straight butter and sugar. But damn, it's good!

2 comments:

Momisodes said...

Butter and sugar. How can you possibly go wrong?

This sounds fantastic! I may have to try this with my daughter. She is constantly bugging me to lick the spoon when I bake anything, but I resist because of the raw eggs.

So sorry to hear about your rough week. I hope your family member is okay, and that your week gets better.

Kitty Deschanel said...

I know it's risky, but I can't resist eating raw cookie dough! It's just so freaking delicious (and, dare I say, often better than the actual cookies!)

I'll make this the next time I'm craving cookie dough...but I'm still going to lick the bowl when I make cookies :)

Lamb's Most Recent Post: I Bought A Chayote Squash. Now What?